05 March 2009

Novelty Cake, aka The Richest Cake Ever!

Obviously the novelty of having a blog is wearing off. My sister has to cajole and basically force me to add more posts now. That's kind of sad, it's only been a month and a half...

Anyway I made this amazing cake. It was my first attempt at a layer cake. I followed the Bakerella instructions for her 14 for 14 cake, but I used the cake mix from my Hot Water Devil's Food Cake. I used the frosting that her instructions had, and man it was amazing. This is so impossibly rich! Chocolate cake, rich on its own, with chocolate glaze and chocolate cream cheese frosting. Whew! But man, it went fast! I did this recipe once with 9 layers and once with 10, I wasn't too careful about the batter measurements. This is what it looked like!
I baked the cake in 8" rounds three at a time for 11-12 minutes.
When the last one was cooking I started the Icing for between the layers. This is from a link on the Bakerella site.
Icing
1 c Butter, cut up
1 can Evaporated Milk
1/2 c Cocoa
3 c Sugar
1 T Vanilla
Mix sugar and cocoa in a sauce pan. Add butter and milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue cooking until the icing thickens. Remove from heat and let sit for 3 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix.
Place 1 layer of the cake on a cake board (I used cardboard wrapped in foil) on a rack over a jelly-roll pan to catch the icing. Scoop about 1/4-1/3 c icing on to the layer and spread it over the layer. Add another layer of cake and continue the process until all the layers have been used. Pour the remaining icing over the top of the cake and let it drip down.
You can spread the icing as it drips so that it covers the whole cake. Then let the icing set until firm. You can also serve it warm and be done at this point.
I continued and put Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting over the top. I got this recipe from Bakerella.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 c Butter, softened
8 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 c Cocoa
1 lb Powdered Sugar
1 t Vanilla
1-3 T Milk
Cream the butter and cream cheese. Add the cocoa and mix. Add the powdered sugar in batches, mixing between each addition. Add the vanilla and as much milk as needed for desired consistency.
I then slathered this over the outside of the beautiful cake:
I thought it looked so amazing! Especially for my first one!
Of course we had to have it for dinner so that I could see what it looked like on the inside!



YUM!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment