24 March 2009

Chicken Enchaladas

Ok, so most of my pictures are not of the actual Enchaladas. I forgot to take pictures before I wrapped them up to freeze, so I did a quick sketch (eek). I'm cooking some things for my parents, becaues I worry they'll starve when I start my job. Which happens to be 2 weeks away! I'll be leaving to go there about the time they get back from England.

Oh, I would like to say that I made this recipe up because they are fantastic, but I must give the credit to my friends Kevin and Tamara. They made these for me the last time I visited them. Now they'll have to come visit me! Or maybe I'll take goodies to their wedding. Anyway, Enchaladas:



Chicken Enchaladas

1 T Olive Oil
1 T Minced Garlic
1 1/2 lb. Chicken Breast
1/2 Onion, finely chopped
2 cans Enchalada Sauce
Cheddar Cheese, shredded, I use about 4 cups, at least
1 can Green Chiles
Tortillas

Heat the garlic and olive oil on medium low heat in a frying pan that has a lid. When hot add the chicken, and cover wtih the lid. Cook, checking regularly, until chicken is cooked through. If it starts scorching, add about 1/2 c water to the bottom of the pan.

When the chicken is done, cool on a cutting board for a couple minutes. Then, using a fork, shred the chicken.

Put the onions in the pan, with any drippings, and saute until they start to brown. Add the shredded chicken, 1 can enchalada sauce, about 2 cups cheese, and the chiles. Cook on medium heat until the cheese melts.

Ready a baking dish. Roll the mixture in tortillas and place them side by side in the baking dish. Cover with the other can of enchalada sauce, and the rest of the cheese. Bake for 20 mintues at 350*. Serve hot with any toppings: Green Onions, Sour Cream, Green Chile, more Cheese...



I usually have to pack the last couple tortillas with A LOT of filling, otherwise it won't get used. This time I was craving a crunchy tortilla, quesidilla style. So, I put the remaining filling on a tortilla, folded it in half, and broiled it for about 2 minutes on each side. Then I put some green taco sauce on it. It was definitely amazing. I will have to do this again.



No comments:

Post a Comment