11 March 2009

Aww, Baby Cakes

I was inspired by the Layer Cake I made last weekend. I decided I would try it with a white cake, but I wanted them to be little, cupcake size. They turned out pretty well, so I'm giving 2 dozon to the Kiwanis bake sale tomorrow. They taste amazing, you should buy some!



I used the recipe for the Smith Family Layer Cake, but only made a third of it for the trial batch.

1/3 Smith Family Layer Cake
1 1/3 c Flour
1/2 t Baking Powder
pinch of salt
1/2 c Butter
3/4 c Sugar
2 Eggs
1 c Milk
1/2 t Vanilla

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. In another bowl cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well. Add the milk and vanilla in batches, alternating with the flour mixture.

Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray and add about 1 tablespoon of batter to each cup. Bake for about 8-10 minutes at 350*F. Run a knife around the edges of each cake and turn out onto a rack to cool. This recipe makes about 4 dozon small cakes.



1/2 Batch Fudge Icing
1 1/2 c Sugar
1/4 c Cocoa
1/2 c Butter
3 oz (1/3 c) Heavy Whipping Cream
3 oz 2% Milk
1/2 t Vanilla

Bring the sugar, cocoa, butter, cream and milk to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat and continue to simmer until the liquid starts to thicken. Remove from heat for about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix well.

Place foil cupcake liners on a rack and put a small cake in the bottom of each. Drizzle about 1 teaspoon over each cake. Add another cake and repeat twice. The baby cakes should have 3 layers each of cake and fudge. This makes 16 Baby Cakes

You can also make these without the wrappers, but it's much messier.



Although they look prettier when serving them for dessert!




For the bake sale I made a full batch of the cake and fudge. I ended up with about 4 dozen Baby Cakes!



I then used the Dark Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting and put a little dab on top of each little cake. They looked so pretty! I almost didn't want to give them away, almost.



No comments:

Post a Comment