01 February 2009

Toad-in-the-Hole Super Bowl

So, for the Super Bowl party we were invited to, my mom volunteered me to make more truffles. I made about 40 thinking that people would actually be at this party. I also offered to make these Toad-in-the-Hole things I found in my English cookbook. As it turned out a total of 6 people were at this party. The host, his wife, her mother (who fondled all my truffles when she found one that might be melting), my parents and me. Wooo! But these did turn out pretty well, not the way the picture in the book looked, but I liked them. The book they're from is called Marguerite Patten's Best British Dishes. They also have some amazing scones and a treat called flapjacks, which my sister introduced me to. Her version are like granola bars, but taste like oatmeal cookie dough. I'll put them up eventually.



Toad-in-the-Hole
Batter:
1 1/2 c Flour
Good Pinch of Salt
2 Eggs
2 c Milk
Filling:
2 t Oil, Lard, or Fat
1 lb Sausages
Sift the flour and salt into a basin, add the eggs one at a time and beat well, then gradually add the milk. Whisk briskly to give a smooth batter. Allow to stand for a time before cooking. Always whisk the batter before pouring it into the dish, as the flour tends to sink to the bottom of the liquid mixture.

Preheat the oven to 425*F. Put the oil, lard or fat, into a shallow, oblong 2 pint casserole or tin and heat for about 3 minutes. Add the sausages and turn in the heated fat. Cook for 5 minutes if small and 10 minutes if large. Add the batter and cook for a further 25-30 minutes until well-risen and golden brown. Check after 15-20 minutes and lower the heat slightly if the batter is becoming too brown. Lift out of the tin or dish, cut into portions. Serve with gravy or Tomato Sauce (to be posted at a later date, after I try it myself).

For the party I used Little Smokies and a muffin tin, and ladled about 2-3 tablespoons of the batter into each cup after heating the sausages. They then cooked for about 20 minutes and were nicely browned. We also had this for dinner one night using hot Italian sausage, and that was just as good. I have not yet tried them with the gravy or tomato sauce, we've just eaten them straight from the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment