09 February 2009

PB&J Muffins

I was asked to make 30 muffins for the local pre-school class for this Tuesday. I like the boxed blueberry muffins, but that is so boring. And the kids are probably sick of blueberries. So I decided to make some PB&J muffins for them.



I went on another action packed adventure of RecipeZaar.com. This is what I came up with.

PB&J Muffins
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
3/4 c natural creamy peanut butter
3/4 c 1% milk
1/2-3/4 c honey
1/2 c finely grated carrot
1/2 c finely grated zucchini
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 c canola oil
1/4 c all-fruit strawberry preserves or raspberry preserves

Spray paper muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With two knives or a pastry blender, cut in peanut butter until coarse crumbs form and mixture is no longer powdery. Add milk, honey, carrot, zucchini, eggs, and oil; stir until well moistened. Spoon about 2 tablespoons batter into each muffin cup.
Top each with about 1 teaspoon fruit preserves. Cover with remaining batter. Bake 15–20 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.



I think this recipe needs about 1 c milk, and 3/4 c honey to be easy to work with. I'll let you know when I try it. Also I used peach preserves for my test batch. I'll use good ole grape jelly for the kiddies. I also cheated and left out the carrots and zucchini, though you probably wouldn't be able to tell they were there.

No comments:

Post a Comment