07 January 2010

Strawberries 'n Scones





















The other day I made English Scones.  That's what the recipe said.  Since I only had one while I was in England, and it was all kind of a blur, I can't say "yea" or "nay".  But they were good.  I'll have to make them for the local England expert, Cupcake.  She'll remember. 


We tried to have Cream Tea while in Brighton, but it was too close to Christmas and all the shoppes were closed.  Cream Tea, from my understanding, consists of English Tea, Milk and Sugar, Scones, Clotted Cream and Raspberry Jam.  Please ask Claire to be certain. 


Photo from Cakes Direct

I didn't have true Cream Tea, not having Clotted Cream or Raspberry Jam.  But I did enjoy some fresh strawberries and honey on mine.  And they were nice and toasty warm.  Mmmmmm...

English Cream Scones
Recipe from recipezaar.com

2 c Flour
2 T Sugar
1 T Baking Powder
1/2 t Salt
1/4 c Shortening
2 Eggs
1/2 c Milk

Preheat oven to 450 *F

Whisk together the eggs and milk. 

In another bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Cut in the shortening.  Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and add the egg and milk mixture.  Mix until all ingredients are incorporated.  This will be sticky.


Generously flour a work surface and turn out the dough.  Flour hands, and work to ensure mix is consistent. (Not too much!)  Pat to a 3/4 inch thick and cut into desired shape.  (I made a square about 12 inches across and cut it into 8 triangles)  Place on ungreased baking sheet and cook for 12-15 minutes, until the tops are lightly golden. 

Enjoy with your favorite topping.

Some ideas:
Pie filling
Nutella
Jam
Butter
Honey
Fresh Sliced Strawberries



2 comments:

  1. Hint: if you cut these into triangles like I did, generously flour or grease your knife. They stick like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's true. that's exactly what cream tea is.
    oh, how i miss that gorgeousness from my gorgeous little england...

    ReplyDelete