07 May 2009

Biscuits and Gravy



It took me a long time to start liking biscuits. I'm still really picky. Those ones that come in the pop open cans? They have a bad after taste. The ones that are dropped onto the pan, instead of rolled out and cut? Not so much. But I do like the ones my mom makes. The ones that come from her ancient cookbook, that used to be Gramma Geneil's. I made them yesterday and shared them with my new room mates. I grudgingly put gravy on them, too. Even though I only like them with Jam or Honey.

Biscuits

tba, I left the recipe in the other box. The one I sleep in, not the one I work in.
OK, here it is:
2 c Flour
3 t Baking Powder
1 t Salt
1/4 c Shortening
3/4 c Milk
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. Cut in the shortening. Add milk and mix until flour is moistened. Don't kneed these, they'll be more flakey if you leave them. Roll out to 1/2 inch thick, and cut rounds with a cookie cutter. I use a small glass, they're a little bigger, but not too big. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 450* for 10-12 minutes.








No comments:

Post a Comment