15 April 2010

Tuna Salad

I grew up thinking that tuna salad was tuna, mayo and pickles.  While that combination is passable, I never really liked it.  I discovered, while in school, that tuna can be the garnish to an amazing salad.  Also I'm not the biggest fan of mayonnaise.  Every time I make it it turns out a bit differently, but it is exciting to be able to experiment and almost always end up with a good dip or sandwich.

I like adding fruit for just a hint of sweetness.  And I have tried just about anything to substitute for mayonnaise.  Last night I discovered a solution.  Most of the time I've had to use just a little to keep the salad together, and used mustard for the rest of the dressing.  I found that Laughing Cow Cheese is perfect, no mayo required.

So, whenever I get a craving for some tuna I grab my chopper and anything I have in the fridge.


Tuna Salad

1 can or packet of Tuna
2 wedges of Laughing Cow spreadable cheese (I used original swiss)

Any or all of the following
Pickle
Carrots
Celery
Tomato
Avocado
Cucumber
Red or Green Pepper
Mushrooms
Green Onion
Corn

Apple
Strawberry
Grapes
Plum (The best tuna salad I made was with a plum.)

Chop the fruit and veggies into small pieces.  (The smaller they are the easier they are to dip, or spread on crackers)  Mix into the tuna and cheese with a fork.

Serve with:
Crackers
Pretzels
Bread
Over spinach or lettuce.

No comments:

Post a Comment