13 January 2011

Tortilla Soup

Probably you should get a pen and paper right now. 
You need to make a grocery list.
Lately I have been craving all things hot and steamy: tea, cocoa, soup, stew, anything that can be used to warm up after a cold snowy afternoon. Not that I’ve seen any of those recently. The coldest it’s gotten here is mid 30s. But having those things makes me feel like winter is happening. The way it used to with snow turtles and skiing and ice skating and snow angels.

I was wishing for another option since I’ve been drinking a steady stream of tea and cocoa, so when I saw a recipe for Tortilla Soup on Pioneer Woman I jumped on it. I like Tortilla Soup and have been wanting a recipe since my friend Catherine made it for us when I used to watch her kiddies.

I was scared because I think this soup can be finicky. I have encountered several versions at restaurants that I have disliked. But I went for it and it was amazing. It still is.

There's some sour cream and guacamole hiding in there as well.
I didn't have the foresight to wait and put them on top to make it pretty.
At the moment I am disgusted with myself because I can’t even finish one bowl even though I’ve been looking forward to it all day, and I was starving, and it is delicious. Please try it. Here is my modified version.

Tortilla Soup

Chicken:
2 T Olive Oil
3 cloves Garlic, minced
2 Chicken Breasts
1 T Chili Powder
1 t Cumin
Salt to taste

Directions:
Sprinkle chili powder, cumin and salt over chicken breast (save the remainder for the broth). Heat oil to medium-low heat in a frying pan or wok, I used a pot large enough for the whole recipe. Add the minced garlic and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken and cover the pan tightly. Allow the chicken to cook through, about 15 minutes or so (I start checking it at about 10, because it gets dried out and tough very quickly). Remove the chicken from heat. Shred the chicken using two forks.

Soup:
½ c Chopped Green Onion
1 ea. Green Bell Pepper and Red Bell Pepper, diced
1 can Rotel Tomatoes with Green Chilies
16 oz. Chicken Broth
1 ½ oz. Tomato Paste
1 can Black Beans, partially drained
5 c Water

Directions:
Add the garlic and drippings from the chicken to the pot or slow cooker the soup is to be cooked in, add another tablespoon of oil if necessary. Heat to medium high and add the onions, cook until translucent (2-3 minutes). Add the peppers and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add the chicken, Rotel tomatoes, chicken broth, beans and tomato paste. Stir together and add the water. Add remaining chili powder, cumin and salt to taste. Bring the soup to a boil, then turn down to low heat and simmer for 45 minutes.

Garnish:
6 whole 6” Corn Tortillas, I chose the red ones
Sour Cream
Guacamole or Avocados
Shredded cheese
Diced onion
Cilantro

Directions:
Use a knife or pizza cutter to cut the tortillas into uniform strips about 1 cm wide by 4-5 cm long. Spread over baking sheet. Place the oven rack about 6 inches from the top of the oven. Turn on the broiler and put the tortilla strips in the oven. After 2-3 minutes remove the tortilla strips, turn them with a spatula and spread them back out. Repeat this process until they are the desired crispy-ness.

Serve the soup and top with any of the desired garnishes.

Savor.

Sooo full.
Mmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment