10 September 2010

Pesto Pasta with Poached Chicken

To go with the Mushroom Bundles I made some pasta with pesto sauce and vegetables and poached chicken. I finally found some wagonwheel pasta. I have been looking for it for ages. It has been pretty elusive.


I found the inspiration for my pasta on Food.com. It used to be Recipezaar.com.


True to my usual lack of discipline I only used the recipe as a basis of what I actually did. Here’s my version of this pasta.

Pesto Pasta with Poached Chicken

2 c Wagonwheel Pasta, uncooked
1 lb Chicken Breast. I use boneless, skinless
1/2 c White Wine
1 c Fresh Basil Leaves
1/2 c Pine Nuts, toasted
1/4 c Olive Oil
1 c Bell Pepper, chopped. I used a package of baby bell peppers with red, orange, and yellow and sliced them into rings
1 c Broccoli Florettes
1 Tomato, chopped

Cook pasta as directed.

When the pasta is cooking poach the chicken in about a tablespoon of olive oil and white wine. I put it in the pan, put the lid on and leave it for 10-15 minutes.

While the chicken cooks puree the basil and pine nuts in a food processor. Slowly drizzle the olive oil over the mixture until it forms the desired pesto consistency.

When the chicken is cooked through cut it into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces and return to the pan. Add the pesto, peppers, broccoli and tomato. Mix well. Add the pasta, mix and garnish with the remaining pine nuts.

1 comment:

  1. I thought I would write the recipe to Gramma's red velvet cake (aka Red Mystery Cake) in here so you could just cut and paste if you wanted.

    1 c butter
    1 1/2 c sugar, minus 2 Tbsp
    2 eggs
    2 oz. red food coloring
    2 Tbsp cocoa
    2 1/2 c sifted cake flour plus 2 Tbsp.
    1 tsp salt
    1 c buttermilk
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 Tbsp vinegar
    1 tsp baking soda

    Cream butter and sugar well. Add eggs and beat well. Make paste with red coloring and cocoa. Add to creamed mixture. Sift flour and salt together and add to batter, alternating with buttermilk. Blend in vanilla. Combine soda and vinegar and mix into batter immediately.

    Bake 3 layers (or oblong) @ 350* for 25 minutes (oblong takes longer).

    Cool and remove from pans. Frost with butter cream frosting (recipe to come later.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete